Xbox Live – error code 80048821

Last night, when logging into Xbox Live, it wouldn’t let me log in and ultimately gave me “code 80048821”.

Screen Shot 2013 04 04 at 10 07 06 AM

The full text of the error was:

“Sorry, either that’s the wrong password, or the email you entered doesn’t have an Xbox LIVE membership.  Please try again, or got to Xbox.com/forgot if you need help.  Code: 80048821”

This code is not listed in the list of codes on xbox.com, and most of the results of a Google search returned info on Windows Live Messenger, not the Xbox.

After resetting my password and trying again, it still didn’t work.  I finally gave up and called Xbox Live support, where I talked with a very helpful tech.  He suggested re-downloading my profile, but that didn’t fix it.  We made sure that my Xbox Live Gold membership was renewed and in good standing (it was).

Next, he had me clear the Xbox’s system cache.  The steps were:

1) Go to Settings, and then System.
2) Select Storage.
3) Select Hard Drive, and press Y
4) Select Clear Cache, and press Yes.

After rebooting the Xbox, everything worked fine.  I’m not sure if clearing the system cache was sufficient to get it working, or if I also needed to re-download my profile, but these steps fixed the problem.

About Kevin

Kevin Jarnot is a technologist who lives just South of Boston, MA. He is currently employed as Chief Technology Officer at DebtX, a financial services technology company based in Boston.
This entry was posted in Gaming, Tech. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Xbox Live – error code 80048821

1. C says:

I just found this searching for a solution to the same problem. I cleared the cache without re-downloading the profile and the problem was fixed. Thank you!

• Tom says:

I had to clear the cache, reboot, and download the profile to make it work. Thanks for the instructions.

2. Cooper says:

I did the steps without re-downloading the profile and it didn’t work and same error code.. So I’m going to guess Xbox just hates me.

• Cooper says:

I take my comment back, I got the error again but when I went to retry the steps it cleared I guess why I cleared the cache..

• Cooper says:

while** It worked on its own without notifying me is what I mean after I got the error message the 2nd time.

3. Aron says:

I had a similar issue; When I turn on my xbox I am signed on to my profile but not XBL. I select connect to XBL and get the described error. I go through the windows and get the error code described above however I see that my account has signed in to XBL because I see that friends are online. If I press either B or A (either button takes you back to enter your email address) and then press the home button I see my Home screen with my account (signed in to XBL).

The only problem is when I started a game that allows XBL gameplay I would have to sign in again and get the same error (huge pain in the rear). After clearing the cache on my xbox this second login issue was resolved, but I still have the initial issue every time I turn on my xbox or sign out then sign in to my profile. I did not re-download my profile but I think I will because I can see this getting very annoying!

4. EpicPotatohead says:

Clearing the cache worked for me. Thanks!

5. Steffen says:

this isnt working for me at all i cleared the cache and restarted my system but the security proof keeps comming up its aggrevating me to no end someone please help me

• Steffen says:

this has been happening for the past 3 days as well and ive tried everything i could think of if anyone has any idea please hit me up on xbox my name is Deaths Scythes please and thank you

6. Malcolm says:

clear cash worked correctly

7. Laurence says:

This worked PERFECTLY, I thank you as much as the internet allows, and I thank that very helpful techie!

8. Jb says:

had this happen a month ago, it went away, now its back, and nothing gets rid of it, wtf?

9. Tuitaio says:

THANKS, BRO! Dowloaded the profile and then cleared the cache and it worked fine!

10. Madame Kay says:

Same problem. Cleared cache, didn’t download the profile, reboot the XBox and it’s working again. Thanks!

11. michael weatherford says:

I Have Been Getting The Security Check Message For About A Week Now I Dont Remember My Password So I Cant Get Passed It I Contacted Xbox Support 2 Times And They Said I Would Recieve A Password Reset Link Within 24 Hours Never Recieved Anything From Them So I Found A Method That Works When You First Turn On Your Xbox 360 Go To The System Storage Than Go To Harddrive And Go To Your Gamertag Make Sure You Have A Flash Drive Once Your Flash Drive Is In Your Usb Port In Your Xbox 360 Move Your Gamertag To Your Flashdrive After It Has Moved Just Press Back Until Your Back To Your Xbox Homepage And It Should Log You In Automatically Without Poping Up That Stupid Security Crap This Method Has Been Working For Me I Hope This Helps Alot More People I Know How Frustrating This Is The Only Downside Is Having To Do This Method Everytime You Turn Your Xbox 360 On I Now Need To Find A Way To Make That Security Message disappear For Good

12. michael weatherford says:

Adding On To My Last Message You Can Move Your Gamertag Back And Forth From Your Flash Drive And Harddrive It Works Either Way As Long As You Move Your Gamertag