Interesting list from the BBC. A few random selections:
3. Brussels sprouts have three times as much vitamin C as oranges.
8. Brazilians are the nationality most likely to read spam.
19. The collective noun for rhinos is “crash”.
26. The full names of Scooby Doo’s Mystery Inc members are: Fred Jones, Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, Scooby “Scoobert” Doo. Shaggy is actually Norville Rogers.
43. In 1911, Pablo Picasso was one of the suspects arrested for the theft of the Mona Lisa.
47. A “jiffy” is 10 milliseconds in computer science terms.
66. An American girl aged between three and 11 has, on average, 10 Barbie dolls in her toy box.
67. It’s 30 years since the world’s first barcode was used. It was on a 10-pack of Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit at a supermarket in Ohio. The gum is now an exhibit in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC.
75. Freak conditions above Everest can cause the sky to “fall in”. An analysis of weather patterns in May 1996, by University of Toronto researchers, said eight people died when the stratosphere sank to the level of the summit.
97. Matt Groening’s father – the inspiration for Homer Simpson – has only complained once about his alter-ego’s actions. It was an episode in which Homer badgered Marge into walking some considerable distance on a hot day to fetch him something.
100. Bill Clinton sent just two e-mails while he was president.